Monday, October 09, 2006

Contraception Issues

As expected, it was a waste of time.

I did, however, receive a full diagnosis of Bipolar Type II. I think that was about all I got out of it.

She's going to write back to my GP to advise her to slowly lower the dose of Venlafaxine (an antidepressant), and I'll need to return in about 4 months' time.

One thing that really got my goat was the contraceptive issue. For those of you that don't know, you cannot conceive whilst taking lithium as it would seriously damage the child. I fully take this onboard, and I understand how serious an issue it is, but I do not like being forced to take a contrceptive that I destest. For 14 years I have managed not to get pregnant, so I'm sure that I am still capable of maintaining this run, but the psychiatrist really tried her hardest to force me to take The Pill or another form of contraceptive.

My concerns with this stem from having had the contraceptive injection for about 4 years. It seriously interfered with my reproductive organs, and it took 2 years for my menstrual cycle to return to normal. Now, bearing in mind that I have just turned 27 years old, if I start another contraceptive, I'll be nearly 30 by the time I can try to conceive again. And considering that before I was put on lithium we had been trying for children for 15 months, I think that taking an oral contraceptive - or any contraceptive for that matter - would really impact on the child bearing years that I have left.

I could understand it more if I had a history of abortions or prescriptions for the Morning After Pill, but I haven't. I am a responsible 27 year old woman, and I felt that she was treating me like a daft teenager.

As you can tell, I'm very unimpressed with the whole visit. I have no faith in the mental health system of this country.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pdoc is wrong to advise you that you don't have a choice. The risk to your baby while on lithium of a heart defect is very small. Many women stay on lithium whilst pregnant. You can use condoms as an alternative method of contraception. Don't let your pdoc bully you into something you are not happy with. You have a right to say no and have input into your treatment.

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home