Monday, September 11, 2006

Honesty

Many people hide the fact that they suffer with depression, but in my experience – which is over 16 years-worth – I’ve found that it is far better to hold your hands up and admit that you’re a sufferer.

Depression isn’t like flu; you can’t gloss over it and work through it. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and admit that you have a problem, that you’re dealing with it, but that you may need a little extra support. It’s natural for people to want to help and they seem to find some gratification in lending a hand if and when they can.

Of course, not everyone reacts the same way, but a sufferer should give people the chance.

Some people that meet me already know that I have bipolar disorder. I think that they’re expecting a waif-like, nail-biting lunatic – I can see the surprise in their eyes when they find that I am far from that stereotype.

Others are genuinely interested in the disorder and the available treatments. I’m sure that they secretly hope that I’ve had ECT (electroconvulsive therapy); oh, what a talking point that would be for them. Maybe it’s a morbid fascination, but whatever the reason, it’s nice to feel accepted.

I’ve been truly amazed to find out how well liked I am. The amount of people that have helped me over the past few weeks has astounded me. I received an email from one person which brought tears to my eyes. He had honestly only ever seen and concentrated on my good qualities, and he was astounded that I had this affliction. I wish that I’d kept that email now, for when the going gets tough.

If you don’t give people the opportunity to help and support you, then they cannot show how much they truly care.

Honesty really is the best policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home